Sunday 26 June 2011

Walkabouts

So....I had a message on Facebook yesterday 'What on earth is a Walkabout and can I came and play!' I love that - they have no idea what we do but have seen the images and want to come too.... so I thought I would let you know a little bit more......are you sitting comfortably - then I will begin!

About 18 months ago a small group of budding photographers and a couple of gorgeous models decided to meet in Southport to practice portrait photography, it was cold, dark and we only had the local McDonalds to head to for coffee and for the models to get changed but after it had finished I started getting requests to do another one....and another one! By the end of the summer the small group had grown to nearly 50 people - models, make up artists, stylists who got together for a crazy day of photography and cake.... cake is always a feature of the Walkabouts...it appears to help with creativity!




 And so the Walkabouts have evolved over the year and now they are more structured and smaller groups so that every photographer who comes along always gets plenty of time an opportunity to work with each of the models. I  start the day by chatting to the group and getting a feel of their levels of experience and then splitting them into small groups. If a group feels that they would like some tutoring then I will spend some time with them looking at camera settings, use of natural light and an introduction to portrait photography.
I also try and challenge the delegates to set themselves a goal for the day - it might be working with a model, experimenting with camera settings or using natural light.



Dan had brought some cards and spent ages flicking them in the air for us to capture....Dan is now Mr International Liverpool and has a Facebook fan page - I would really appreciate it if you would pop along and say hi...he is signed to a model agency and has some amazing portfolio images on his page - well worth looking at


This is Tomas a talented model and performer.... who can jump higher than anyone I know !



Claire and John were amazing - they only came to the farm yesterday to but some fruit and veg and were willing models for us! Claire was a little nervous about having her photograph taken without any make up on but I am sure that you will agree that she did not have anything to worry about!



Luke .... what can I say about Luke - he never stops smiling - until you ask for the mean and moody look and then he looks amazing - he is hoping to do some modelling work in the future and if you are interested in working with him then give me a shout and I will pass your details to him
Corinne, who is an extremely talented make up artist came up with this idea, a poker game in one of the barns - I have to say that the acting talents of all the models were put to good use here!



So here are a few more details, I charge just £30 for the day - this is not a teaching workshop, it is an opportunity to spend the day trying new things, sharing skills and experiences and making new friends. I am based in Lydiate  on a lovely farm. Lydiate is about 6 miles from Southport and the postcode of the Farm is L31 4HD if you want to start planning your trip! There is a gorgeous cafe next door for lunch and refreshments and the Scotch Piper pub is next door - the oldest pub in Lancashire!


I am planning more Walkabouts and events - I have had requests for organising a day with a small group and a very experienced model and have also had requests for stylised photoshoots..... hopefully I can arrange something over the summer. I am also planning another trip to the Victoria Baths in Manchester and there is a previous Blog entry about our last workshop there.

I want to say a huge thank you to everyone who came along yesterday - the models were fabulous, the group had so much energy and enthusiasm and the lovely Corinne worked her make up magic again - if you are ever looking for a make up artist then I can highly recommend her - this is the link to her facebook page where you can see her portfolio Corinne Make up artist

I also want to thank everyone who has ever been on a Walkabout - I have made so many friends, learned so much from everyone and have always been amazed at the level of talent and the willingness to share

If you would like to keep up to date on events - the best way to do this is via my facebook page Jo Rutherford Photography. I hope to see you soon!! Best Blogger Tips
  • Share On Facebook
  • Digg This Post
  • Stumble This Post
  • Tweet This Post
  • Save Tis Post To Delicious
  • Float This Post
  • Share On Reddit
  • Bookmark On Technorati
Blog Gadgets

11 comments:

Claire Penn Photography said...

Aaaah darn it, I LOVE the poker game shot... amazing. Wish I had been able to make it! :(

Jo, you know how much I love (you)r walkabouts and workshops, I have learned so much from you and the other togs. When I think back to my first one when I was so scared.. hahaa... I'm so glad I jumped in with both feet and stuck it out.

If I can make the next one, and I can get a place before you get booked up again, I'll be there, with knobs on. xxxx

Andrea Ellison Photography said...

I flippin LOVE Walkabouts .....just brilliant brilliant fun ...and you get to meet THE nicest people ...what struck me the most about them was the willingness of all the photographers to share experiences ....there were shooters with every level of skill and it was so nice to see everyone taking time to help each other become better photographers .......worth every penny

Tracey Barrow said...

I first rang Jo to enquire about one of her organised shoots at the Victorian Baths in Manchester and instantly I knew that this was the sort of person that I could feel at ease with and address my silly fears regarding my photography. So after I attended the bath shoot and then hearing about the walkabouts I knew I HAD to attend one! I can honestly say it will be the best £30 you will ever spend on photography! The day is so much fun, you get to spend time with the lovely models who are always relaxed and fun, not your usual 'don't talk to me I'm a super model don't you know' type! The ratio of photographers to models is just perfect too so no fighting for a picture! The location is just beautiful and I wish it was closer to me as I would be sneaking in there all the time! Oh and cake! The tea shop do amazing cakes, seriously if it wasn't for my love of photography I'd go just for the cake! Thanks Jo for organising these days - I look forward to the next one and/or one of your shoots.
xx

Lisa DD said...

Brilliant day. The photographers were all a happy, helpful group, the models were amazing, Corinne (the make-up artist) did an excellent job, and you worked wonders to pull the day together. Wouldn't miss it for the world...!

Warren Millar said...

Allways a brill day no matter what level of photography your at ...... Sorry I missed this one had to go though cold turkey all day !!!!!

Madhouseof5 said...

This was my 1st walkabout and I can hand on heart say it surpassed my expectations! I met Jo for the 1st time at the recent Victoria Baths shoot. I love that these workshops are not teaching workshops in the traditional sense but I come away having learned a lot from Jo and from all the other photographers who are so friendly and only too happy to share their own knowledge. I have met some wonderful and talented people, from the makeup artists, models and other togs. A fantastic experience that should not be missed and an absolute bargain to boot!

Philip Antrobus said...

What can I say first walkabout day for me and what a day from arriving to the end of the day everyone was so friendly. Jo is amazing, models are really fun to work with and all the other togs were just great. If you have never done a walkabout before you should try it, you learn lots of new things have a great day make new friends just one thing dont pinch my place. Once again thanks everyone.

Catherine Ball said...

Jo, thanks so much for taking the time to post such detailed information - certainly answered all my questions. I'm defo up for making a determined effort to travel and joined your 'walkabouters' and very keen on a Victoria Baths day - the photos from that day were amazing x

John Denton said...

Look forward to seeing you on Sunday Jo. Always a pleasure to spend time at the farm and hope to be a walkabouter myself next time.

Tracy Edwards said...

Simply a brilliant day! Jo immediately put me at ease, the models were great fun and really professional and the other photogs were a pretty cool bunch too! Well worth the investment as you you learn lots and can chat about photography all day long. An added bonus, I've got 6 new facebook friends already!! Looking forward to another one.

Ian Han said...

Just found your page on one of those internet 'walkabouts' ;) looks like fantastic fun and would love to take part in the next one :)

Post a Comment

 
© Jo Rutherford Photography
CoffeeShop Designs